Since the late 1970’s, research has shown that women who eat cruciferous vegetables have an overall reduced risk of breast tissue abnormalities. Vegetables such as kale and Brussels sprouts contain compounds that shift the breakdown of estrogen to ore of the protective “good estrogen,” thus protecting against breast tissue abnormalities.
Research has shown women who supplemented their diet with dehydrated organic Brussels sprouts and kale were able to experience a substantial positive shift in their estrogen metabolism. A new study has shown that a supplement program containing 3.6 grams of dehydrated organic Brussels sprouts and kale was effective in tipping the delicate balance of estrogen in favor of the “good” form. Organically grown, bio-available kale and Brussels sprouts are now available in a supplement.
Talk to our licensed acupuncturist at Synergy, Mimi, today about how whole food supplementation can benefit your estrogen metabolism.
- Muti P, Bradlow HL, Miocheli A, et al. Estrogen metabolism and risk of breast cancer: a prospective study of the 2:16alpha-hydroxyesterone ratio in premenopausal and postmenopausal women. 2000 Nov;11(6):635-40.
- Michnovicz JJ, Adlercreutz H, Bradlow HL. Changes in levels of urinary estrogen metabolites after oral indole-3-carbinol treatment in humans. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1997 May 21;89(10):718-23
- Michnovicz JJ. Increased estrogen 2-hydroxylation in obese women using oral indole-3-carbinol. Intl J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Mar;22(3):227-9.
- Michnovicz JJ, Bradlow HL. Altered estrogen metabolism and excretion in humans following consumption of indole-3-carbinol. Cancer. 1991;16(1):59-66
- Kall MA, Vang O, Clausen J. Effects of dietary broccoli on human drug metabolizing activity. Cancer Lett. 1997 Mar 19;114(1-2):169-70
- Bradlow HL, Telang NT, Sepkovic DW, Osborne MP. 2-hydroxyesterone: the estrogen. J Endocrinol. 1996 Sep;150SupplS259-65.
- Dalessandri KM, Firestone GL, Fitch MD, Bradlow HL, Bjeldanes LF. Pilot study: effect of 3,3-diindolylmethane supplements on urinary hormone metabolites in postmenopausal women with a history of early-stage breast cancer. Nutr Cancer. 2004;50(2):161-7.
- Morrison J, Mutell D, Pollock T, Redmond E, Bralley A, Lord R. Efficacy of dried cruciferous powder for raising the 2/16 Hydroxyestrogen ratio.